Just started Nuvigil and extremely nauseous

Hi,

I'm new here and I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis (PsA) and auto immune disease in September 2012. I sometimes sleep 16-18 hours and I'm fatigued all the time. My doctor says I'm an extreme case. I was prescribed Provigil, but my insurance wouldn't approve it but they did approve Nuvigil. My GP prescribed 50 mg twice a day but it wasn't helping much so I increased the dose on my own and I was EXTREMELY nauseous. Today, I'm back to 50 mg in the morning along with an anti nausea med and will take 50 mg in the afternoon. I'm still nauseous but it isn't as bad when I took 150 mg.

Does anyone else take Nuvigil? Any tips on how to help with the nausea? Will I get use to the med in time and be able to take a higher dose?

Should I try to get a free week trial of Provigil?

Thanks for your advice,

Frances

I’m sorry I don’t have experience with either medication. I often read that side effects fade in time but it is hard to persevere in those circumstances.
Let’s hope that someone comes up with some helpful suggestions.
Best of luck.

Thanks for responding.

Nel said:

I'm sorry I don't have experience with either medication. I often read that side effects fade in time but it is hard to persevere in those circumstances.
Let's hope that someone comes up with some helpful suggestions.
Best of luck.

I actually took Pro vigil briefly. However, I ended up having and allergic reaction and had to stop taking it. O went back to taking Adder all multiple times a day. This is the only treatment that has been effective for me. The only thing I could suggest is asking for low dose Zofran of you want to continue Nuvigil. O take this and it does not make me drowsy and helps with nausea. I hope this helps some

Thanks for responding. I'm taking zofran and I'm still nauseous. I've read several reviews from patients who complained about the horrible nausea - many said it went away in 2 weeks when there body adjusted to the med. I'm hoping my body will also adjust.

KristinTMAAF said:

I actually took Pro vigil briefly. However, I ended up having and allergic reaction and had to stop taking it. O went back to taking Adder all multiple times a day. This is the only treatment that has been effective for me. The only thing I could suggest is asking for low dose Zofran of you want to continue Nuvigil. O take this and it does not make me drowsy and helps with nausea. I hope this helps some

Hang in there love and give it some time. If you’re not having an allergic reaction, it is always good to give a new medication at least 3-4 weeks for side effects to subside and their full effects to kick in. 8f the nausea becomes absolutely unbareable it may be worth looking into other options. How many times a day do you vomit and are you losing weight?

I'm not vomiting on the 50mg twice a day - just nauseous. However, the 50mg dose isn't helping that much with my fatigue - a higher dose helps more but the nausea is horrible. My plan is to continue with the 50 mg twice a day and hopefully my body will adjust and then I'll increase the dose.

I used to take nuvigil and it made me nauseous too. It did stop after about 2 weeks like another person said. It never really helped me though. After a year on it I became more depressed and switched to Adderall. I’ve been on Adderall for over 2 years now.

Is Adderall the same as amphetamine salts that I was prescribed? May I ask what dose of adderall you are taking and do you have any side effects.

thanks so much,

SleepinBeauty said:

I used to take nuvigil and it made me nauseous too. It did stop after about 2 weeks like another person said. It never really helped me though. After a year on it I became more depressed and switched to Adderall. I've been on Adderall for over 2 years now.