Newly diagnosed, new meds, feeling like a train wreck

Hello all. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy about 3 weeks ago and started on Nuvigil. Since then, I’ve been nauseated/dry heaving all day, and spending my evenings alternating between extreme irritability and sobbing. I’ve been snapping at my husband and young daughter. I had to call out of work due to the extreme nausea. I have a lot of ambition. I want to excel at my job and I want to be a good mom- the kind of person who had the energy to do dishes, and laundry, clean the house, and spend quality time with my family. But instead, I feel lazy, worthless, and like a constant drain on my family and my employer. I haven’t told my employer about my diagnosis and am afraid to do so- ashamed because I can see the eye roll while they wonder what kind of special treatment I’m looking for. Does anyone else have these issues or any clue how to manage them?

So you have had the nausea since you started the nuvigil 3 weeks ago? I’ve never had nausea with that med. But I found that provigil worked much better for me, since I could take a second dose to keep me going. Do you feel the nuvigil is helping with mental alertness and/or feeling less fatigue in general? If not, I would definitely ask to try the provigil. Or any of the others. Hang in there, one you find the right thing, you should feel more in control.

Thanks for the reply. My insurance wouldn’t cover twice daily dosing on Provigil, which is why I had to start Nuvigil. My doctor tells me he will try the insurance company again; that maybe if I failed Nuvigil, they’ll approve the Provigil. Hoping that will help… The Nuvigil did help with the sleepiness- I only had 2 episodes of falling asleep behind the wheel (compared to daily).

I had nausea for about a week when taking Nuvigil. I lost 10 lbs. Because of it. It went away after that but the med didn’t do too much for me. I still felt horrible and the only it did was keep my eyes open at work. After 1 year I had to switch because I was getting very depressed.

I take Concerta and Prozac has anyone else ever been put on those?

As you know narcolepsy is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) so you have some protection. I understand how you might feel very awkward while confronting your employer. Although Nuvigil did not make me nauseated it did not get me through the day so I switched to Provigil twice a day.Prior to that I took Ritalin twice a day which was preferable because of enhanced focus and energy. My experience with Xyrem was a complete bust. I wasn't diagnosed till age 64 but looking back I can see how my life was negatively impacted for many years. Due to the nature of my last job which included many hours of outdoor work and driving I decided to hang it up rather than be confined to the office. That's my experience and only hope that it provides some insight into the condition. Best Regards

Thank you for the info and perspective. Prior to my diagnosis, I was being treated for ADD and depression, which my doc now says was all just the narcolepsy, particularly since I was as far from hyperactivity as it is possible to get. So, I tried Vyvanse (up to 60mg, eventually just gave up bc it didn’t work and getting a new script every month was a huge hassle.). I also tried Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Lexapro. Xyrem scares me, particularly with a young child to care for. I’m hoping for better luck with Provigil!

Ranger2 said:

As you know narcolepsy is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) so you have some protection. I understand how you might feel very awkward while confronting your employer. Although Nuvigil did not make me nauseated it did not get me through the day so I switched to Provigil twice a day.Prior to that I took Ritalin twice a day which was preferable because of enhanced focus and energy. My experience with Xyrem was a complete bust. I wasn’t diagnosed till age 64 but looking back I can see how my life was negatively impacted for many years. Due to the nature of my last job which included many hours of outdoor work and driving I decided to hang it up rather than be confined to the office. That’s my experience and only hope that it provides some insight into the condition. Best Regards

Wishing you luck with your medications! Sometimes it can take quite some time to get it just right- please don’t get discouraged. :slight_smile:

it isn't uncommon to try different meds until you and your doctor get the right one. If you've tried others it's more likely the insurance company will approve a med not usually covered. Depends. Nausea is the worst. But someone mentioned depression as a result of a medication, too. It might be a struggle for awhile. You've been a great employee and parent. Wishing you the best.

P.S. You may not need special accommodations at work. You'll figure it out, I know you will. I understand the shame thing but I don't know where it comes from. It doesn't help. What is more important is the respect you have for yourself and others, naturally, and the respect others have for you. We all deserve fair treatment including you, Sleepyrph :).

Thank you! So far, I’ve been on Provigil about a week and things are much improved (although still no insurance coverage). The nausea is mostly resolved and I’m not quite as emotionally volatile. I still cry at sappy commercials (new for me) and can be irritable at times, but I’m dealing with it. Weirdly, I kind of like having feelings again, and being occasionally cranky has actually caused me to stand up for myself more in situations when I previously would have just been a doormat to avoid confrontation. Still having to pull over sometimes to nap, but hopefully will begin to get more control back.

I appreciate all of the words of encouragement!

Sleepyrph said:

Thank you for the info and perspective. Prior to my diagnosis, I was being treated for ADD and depression, which my doc now says was all just the narcolepsy, particularly since I was as far from hyperactivity as it is possible to get. So, I tried Vyvanse (up to 60mg, eventually just gave up bc it didn’t work and getting a new script every month was a huge hassle.). I also tried Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Lexapro. Xyrem scares me, particularly with a young child to care for. I’m hoping for better luck with Provigil!

Ranger2 said:

As you know narcolepsy is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) so you have some protection. I understand how you might feel very awkward while confronting your employer. Although Nuvigil did not make me nauseated it did not get me through the day so I switched to Provigil twice a day.Prior to that I took Ritalin twice a day which was preferable because of enhanced focus and energy. My experience with Xyrem was a complete bust. I wasn’t diagnosed till age 64 but looking back I can see how my life was negatively impacted for many years. Due to the nature of my last job which included many hours of outdoor work and driving I decided to hang it up rather than be confined to the office. That’s my experience and only hope that it provides some insight into the condition. Best Regards