About to start Nuvigil

I just dropped off my prescription for Nuvigil to help me have some wakefulness throughout the day. I have never taken a stimulant before, and I am scared about some of the possible side effects. I guess I am writing to see if anyone can give me a heads up about what to expect the first few days. I also get the impression that some of the side effects go away after some time, so I am hoping someone can chime in on which side effects I should just try to endure and which ones indicate a bigger problem. My dr put me on 250mg 1x per day. It seems that this is the highest individual dose. Should I start by taking half pills first? Or would that be worse? Any insight into this drug would be very helpful as I have never taken ANY drugs like this ever in my life.

I took this for about a month, my dr. started me on 150 for a week which cause me to have crazy bursts of energy every 30 mins. Id be crazy energetic for 30 then me tired for 30mins…it was back and forth. When i moved to the 250 the first few days were great! Then it caused my heart to race alot so my dr. put back on 150 and it still caused my heart to race so i have been taken off of it. I would not recommend dsplitting it because then you would be taking less than the low dose. Sorry i couldnt be of better help. Hope it works for you!

I haven't taken Nuvigil so I'm not really sure how it is, but I take Provigil which is similar, I think. When I started taking it, the first day, I felt CRAZY. Really jittery, irritable, snapping at people for no reason.. After a couple of days that effect went away. Or lessened, anyway. I still find that sometimes I talk way too fast.

Another thing I've noticed is that it kind of increases the incidence of blanking out on things. Like making a phone call and then as the person answers realizing that I have no idea who I'm calling or what I'm calling about. I usually remember after a couple seconds but it's definitely harder to remember things.

But I'm awake. So that's something.

thats how i felt on nuvigil also with a rapid heart rate.

nomnomnom said:

I haven't taken Nuvigil so I'm not really sure how it is, but I take Provigil which is similar, I think. When I started taking it, the first day, I felt CRAZY. Really jittery, irritable, snapping at people for no reason.. After a couple of days that effect went away. Or lessened, anyway. I still find that sometimes I talk way too fast.

Another thing I've noticed is that it kind of increases the incidence of blanking out on things. Like making a phone call and then as the person answers realizing that I have no idea who I'm calling or what I'm calling about. I usually remember after a couple seconds but it's definitely harder to remember things.

But I'm awake. So that's something.

I was on Provigil for almost 13 years. I never felt any side effects from Provigil and it helped me keep working. When Provigil started to not do the job anymore, I was put on Nuvigil. I started to have panic attacks everyday and it didn't keep me awake. I was nodding off at work all the time. I forgot details. I answered the phone while I was asleep. My experience is that it didn't help me at all.

Just an FYI: Nuvigil and Provigil act differently on brain chemicals.

Nuvigil® (armodafinil) is a wakefulness-promoting agent for oral administration. Armodafinil is the R-enantiomer of modafinil which is a mixture of the R- and S-enantiomers. The chemical name for armodafinil is 2-[(R)-(diphenylmethyl)sulfinyl]acetamide. The molecular formula is C15H15NO2S and the molecular weight is 273.35.

The chemical structure is:

Armodafinil exists in multiple crystalline forms. Form I, which is used in Nuvigil, is the least soluble form of armodafinil and is a white to off-white, crystalline powder that is very slightly soluble in water, sparingly soluble in acetone and soluble in methanol. At least 90% of the armodafinil particles used in Nuvigil have a diameter less than 200 microns.

Nuvigil tablets contain 50, 150, or 250 mg of armodafinil and the following inactive ingredients: croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, and pregelatinized starch.

Once the prescription for Provigil was allowed to be prescribed generically, Nuvigil was introduced to the market. Modafinil is used to help people who have narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome (OSAHS), or shift work sleep disorder (SWSD) to stay awake during the day. Modafinil does not cure these conditions and will only work as long as you continue to take it.

modafinil is available only with your doctor's prescription.

It is said that Nuvigil works on the brain the same way that provigil does, but I have found that there are more unwanted side effects and that even after adjusting dosing, I found no real benefits from taking Nuvigil.

Provigil worked for me but I felt exhausted to a point of misery. They actually give Provigil to our pilots that will be out flying for an extended time or at night. That worries me knowing how I felt taking it.

I also have POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia) and have low Blood Pressure to a point when I stand at times I pass out and fall. I was diagnosed in December and am taking Adderall XR for an antidepressant (I cannot take regular anti depressants due to serotonin syndrome). They upped the dose to increase my Blood Pressure. Which it has to a normal level. It is an amphetamine but the benefits far outweigh the concerns. Plus I will not complain about the weight loss :-)......since exercise is no longer my friend.

how is it working for you?