Another day in the life of a Narcoleptic

I went to bed last night at round 11:00 PM last night and slept until 4:00 AM. The house is quiet, only the refrigerator hum breaks the silence. This has been my nighttime sleeping habit for several weeks now no matter what I do to try to change it. So, I've come to accept the fact that I'm only going to get 5 to 6 hours of sleep at night and wake up before the birds are up. Maybe I was a farmer in a past life :) Anyway, I have developed some rituals that help me cope with this new reality of mine. I make my coffee and by cup number 2, I can usually get my thoughts together enough to write a little. Then, I light the candles on my meditation alter and pray for God's blessings for me and others I know who are suffering. I talk to my mother and thank her for all she taught me about faith and love and charity. I think a lot in the mornings -- I don't know if this is good or bad -- because sometimes my thoughts are bleak about the future. Other times, I'm determined to make the most of the day through little acts of kindness or doing some yoga, taking a walk once the sun's come up. The winter's are hard for me even though I live in a moderate temperature zone but the shorter days do affect my energy levels. So, I might as well get in as much as I can in the morning cause I'm pretty much a wet mop at night. My husband still has the energy of a 40-year-old. He runs everyday, plays in a band on the weekends, keeps our children on an even keel when they call in the afternoon and I'm sound asleep. I don't know what I would do without him. He forces me not to be such a "crab." (My sign is Cancer and I tend to shut myself up and apart from people) We still keep our Sunday dinner ritual which makes us all feel grounded and supported. And my kids love my cooking.

They're all starting to talk about Thanksgiving already. The cooking part doesn't stress me out because I have a pretty good system -- it's the food shopping (going out into public). I think I'm getting agoraphobia as I get older. I hate to leave my house and be with people in stores. I'm afraid I will have some kind of panic attack or cataplexy in the store. It's like everything I do has to be planned down to the minute or I might get too tired to continue on. That's why my husband has started to accompany me on food shopping trips. He knows it overwhelms me. What a silly thing to be overwhelmed about, right? I just call it Narcolepsy Fallout.

Supermarkets here in Australia have a terrific online ordering system. It is great because it just comes delivered to your door like magic. You may not be able to get everything you need for Thanksgiving but possibly quite a lot of the shopping could be done that way? It could be worth investigating? It isn't a silly thing to be worried about at all!

Thanks for the tip! Maybe I'll look into it here in Georgia. I know they have services like that in the Northeast - NY, NJ, CT. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it!

Kathleen,

Thanks for sharing your blog. I also have trouble food shopping. I can't pick up even a gallon of milk without hurting my neck.(When I had surgery for my Chiari Malformation they had to rebuild my C Spine also.) I think your routine sounds wonderful. Please remember me in your prayers. You are also in mine !!!

Tracy

Yes, of course I will pray for you. I looked up your condition on line after you disclosed it and I must say it sounds pretty intense. I'm sure you have been through so much in your life that it's a miracle you are able to do the things you do today. I admire your courage and perseverance to keep helping others and acting as moderator when you have such physical obstacles you must face each day. I'm so glad you have come into my life.

good tip Nic!