Problems with Xyrem

Hi y'all

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I have today off and thought I would try to get some support from the group. I started taking Xyrem about a month ago and am now up to the 4.5 gram twice a night max and am having problems sleeping, if you can believe it. I only sleep 4 hours at a time. I take my first dose at 10pm and automatically wake up at 2am. Then I take my second dose and wake up at 6am but my rest is not very restful. I tried to stop taking Xyrem and go back to Ambien but now the Ambien does not work, either does Lunesta. Has anyone had this problem with Xyrem and not being able to get off Xyrem once starting it. What are people taking to help them with their insomnia? Any advice would be helpful!

Hello Ben,

Honestly, I love Xyrem. It's the only medicine that's really worked for me. I'm on the same time schedule as you, 1st does at 10pm, 2nd at 2am. I also take some other meds at night that also make me sleepy as a side affect. I don't know if that has anything to do with the quality of sleep I am having or not. I still don't get enough sleep but it is so much more than I got before. Xyrem has been a life changer for me but it did take a while to get used to. Maybe give it another month and see if you adjust to it and sleep better. Are you taking the Xyrem on an empty stomach? Are you avoiding caffeine and alcohol? Do you practice good sleep hygiene?

Hi, like Mary I love Xyrem. I have been taking it a year. I also take it at 10 and 2. It is a weird medicine. More is not always better. I have found when my rest gets restless or it is not lasting the full 4 hours that I need to tweak it a little. I go down by .25 a dose a night or two and maybe another .25. It usually works much better. Remember the goal is to find what dose is best for you, not to get up to 4.5. My current doses is 4 at 10 and 3.25 at 2. And be careful to stop eating completely at 7 or 8 at the latest. And that includes calories and fats in drinks too. The calories will really mess up the Xyrem. Good luck but before giving up just experiment and go down on your doses.

Hi there, I do not take Zyrem but do take Lunesta. I am newly diagnosed, but long time sufferer. I feel the Lunesta is way better than nothing. Zyrem has been called to my attention, but I did decline this medicine due to the side effect listing. I do feel I still have some symptoms at night, but way better. Also, I find that it does help to exercise about 2-3 hr prior to bed whether that is yoga, walking or running for a bit - they do seem to help. Thing is finding the energy to actually get myself to do the exercise!! It sure is a struggle and I hope that you find some relief.

Hi MelissaD,

Thanks for your advice and replying to my posting!

Stacey

MelissaD said:

Hi there, I do not take Zyrem but do take Lunesta. I am newly diagnosed, but long time sufferer. I feel the Lunesta is way better than nothing. Zyrem has been called to my attention, but I did decline this medicine due to the side effect listing. I do feel I still have some symptoms at night, but way better. Also, I find that it does help to exercise about 2-3 hr prior to bed whether that is yoga, walking or running for a bit - they do seem to help. Thing is finding the energy to actually get myself to do the exercise!! It sure is a struggle and I hope that you find some relief.

Thanks for the info sunnydaysc6111! I appreciate that you took the time to comment on my question! I have found the combination that works well for me now. I still take my 4.5 at 10 and 2, but I also take Trazadone 50mg and 2 mg of Klonipin. It has really helped me. Thank goodness! Happy Holidays!

sunnydaysc6111 said:

Hi, like Mary I love Xyrem. I have been taking it a year. I also take it at 10 and 2. It is a weird medicine. More is not always better. I have found when my rest gets restless or it is not lasting the full 4 hours that I need to tweak it a little. I go down by .25 a dose a night or two and maybe another .25. It usually works much better. Remember the goal is to find what dose is best for you, not to get up to 4.5. My current doses is 4 at 10 and 3.25 at 2. And be careful to stop eating completely at 7 or 8 at the latest. And that includes calories and fats in drinks too. The calories will really mess up the Xyrem. Good luck but before giving up just experiment and go down on your doses.