Post-Hurricane Blues

I am a native New Yorker and this past week has been a painful reminder of how all the beautiful places I used to enjoy when I lived there are gone now. One of my sisters has kept me up to date on the relief efforts for some of the forgotten survivors - the people in Howard Beach, Beach Channel and the Rockaways. It seems like help always gets to those who need it most last. Catholic Charities and community associations are ready with warm clothes and blankets and food but the National Guard says it's too unsafe for them to deliver these much needed supplies. It's so sad to see so many people suffer. It makes my challenges seem so insignificant. It almost makes me feel like narcolepsy with cataplexy is a selfish illness. I feel like jumping on a flight to NY to help with the relief efforts, but I know my body won't cooperate. I wish I was young and strong again. I used to feel invincible when I was younger. I used to be able to help people in need. What the heck happened to me? I am not the person I want to be.