Health question re: sensitivity to cold and freezing?

Hello All,

Quick health question:

Health: I woke up this morning so cold and shaking it was almost like I was having "seizures" shaking so badly, it was 66 degrees in the house, I had a sweat shirt and bathrobe on under a sheet and wool blanket. Got out of bed, Hit the heat up to 75 degrees, and then tested my blood sugar at 8:25am to see if that was it? No it read "95" not too bad cause this. I ate some cheese, a little chocolate, a cup of hot ginger tea and stood over the heater to warm up, and finally go back to bed….

This happened to me a couple of time ago, before I was diagnosed with narcolepsy.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Am I alone?

Take care,

Ranger

PS: I may be dealing with Black Mold issues in my bedroom closet. Very sensitive to cold these days, last winter felt cold all the time.

Also: Just had my “thyroid levels checked” they say it is "normal", but I say it not normal for mealso wondering about testosterone levels affecting my sensitivity to cold?

Hi Ranger,
Could you have Raynauds Syndrome by any chance? It can appear at any age.
I can’t find any connection between narcolepsy and cold attacks such as you describe. Are you taking any new medication? Beta blockers which I had prescribed for heart problems following my surgery earlier this year made me shake with cold. But I already have Raynauds so beta blockers are contraindicated, which they knew when they prescribed them but omitted to warn me.
My thyroid levels bounce about because doctors are forever messing about with my thyroxine dosage.b Unfortunately they only do partial tests for thyroid levels in the UK, check them against their wretched lists and oblige me to drop the dose instead of considering me as a person and looking at my symptoms if any before making the decision. I haven’t noticed feeling any colder when I become hypo and it is nearly 30 years since I had my thyroid removed.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Hi Nel,

Thank you for the info! I did check on Raynauds Syndrome, that might be a possibility... Reading about that...it mentioned "Stress" I'm under extreme stress now. Relocating/moving. It's hard enough to live each day w/o seeing all you furniture for the most part given away and what's left going into boxes....

I totally agree re "lab test", here in the US every lab has different methods for testing and "ranges" - totally irrelevant to each individual and what they really need...MY "D" level is extremely low and B12. Recently Japan raised the normal "levels" and the USA lowered the levels" ??? Once I had to change doctors to just get my thyroid med level increased.

Next stop I think will be a "qualified holistic nutritionist" to review my diet and current vitamins/supplements.

I think the current moving stress, diet and supplements are the first thing to review...

Thank you for your response and suggestions!!!

Ranger

Nel said:

Hi Ranger,
Could you have Raynauds Syndrome by any chance? It can appear at any age.
I can't find any connection between narcolepsy and cold attacks such as you describe. Are you taking any new medication? Beta blockers which I had prescribed for heart problems following my surgery earlier this year made me shake with cold. But I already have Raynauds so beta blockers are contraindicated, which they knew when they prescribed them but omitted to warn me.
My thyroid levels bounce about because doctors are forever messing about with my thyroxine dosage.b Unfortunately they only do partial tests for thyroid levels in the UK, check them against their wretched lists and oblige me to drop the dose instead of considering me as a person and looking at my symptoms if any before making the decision. I haven't noticed feeling any colder when I become hypo and it is nearly 30 years since I had my thyroid removed.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I know it isn’t the tiniest bit funny but the changing of levels made me laugh. It would be really funny if it wasn’t our bodies they are messing up!
I hate the idea of you having to dispose of your fond pieces of furniture and can well believe how stressful it all is.
With very best wishes

Ranger, a number of conditions can create cold sensitivity, including weight loss, hypothyroidism, anemia, fibromyalgia, or vasoconstriction, or the use of certain medications. Of course, a virus or fever could cause the same feelings. Check in with your gp if the cold sensitivity continues, and keep us posted.

It could be Reynard's Phenomena or Reynard's Syndrome. Do your fingers or toes change colors? Are you also sensitive to heat?

Stimulants can cause Raynuad's Phenomenon sometimes

Dear All,
I think I’ve found some answers to
The freezing, my daughter pointed out
That the first thing I should do is
Increase the number of calories I’m
Eating, and keep a food record. Started
To do that the past 5 days, eating
More than ever and trying to stay on
A eating schedule. I had lost a lot
Of weight over the past months.

But now something more serious
Is popping up. I told my doctor
In May that at odd times I smell a
Sweet floral sort of purfume. Not all the
time but enough to notice it. She asked if
I was having seizures…I didn’t know???
If I was, how can I tell living all by myself
She said that could do a CAT or
MRI (…copay costs, limited income) decided
Not to do it in May for the time being.

I see her again at the end of July and I’m
A little afraid to tell her what
Happenes at night sitting in bed.
At night I like to read a bit before
Going to sleep, some times my eyes
Go bleary and I can’t even read. Some
Times I drop the book and I’m "gone"
For some moments and come back. Last
Night if I can’t read, I’ll try to
Put some music from my phone on and
A number of times I drop the phone
Or book just “poof” I’m out.

I’ve had narcolepsy all my life,
Rarely do I get the yawn yawn I’m tired
Feeling (I have insomnia also) when
I feel the brain fade "you’re done, time
to sleep and I respond to that and
Lay down to sleep.

Any of you have things happening?

My deep concern is I may be sick, be
stopped from driving and the cost
and additional tests and copays.

None of this ever happens while
driving - but if I feel a sleep attack
coming I get off the road - and sleep.

Living on disability is tough.
Currently have no home base, just
My truck and very small RV travel
trailer.

What would all of you do??? My disabilty income
Is I’ve already checked "all the social service programs

My income is just a little bit above
The guide lines. Any thing I would
Qualify has long waiting lists and
"lower income" people get bumped to
the top of the list when there are Openings…

Sorry this was a run on message.
Sincerely,
Ranger100