Does your diet affect your narcolepsy symptoms?

Have you tried changing your diet? Does it have an affect on your symptoms? What works and what doesn't?

I believe that a meal heavy in carbohydrates makes me extra-sleepy; give me a plate of pasta, and within seconds after finishing I'm done for... What works well for me is plenty of protein.

Anything large and heavy is bound to bring on a sleep attack.

Lighter meals helps, as mentioned above, especially lighter in carbs.

On the other side of the coin, smaller meals also helps. I usually eat 5-6 meals a day because of this.

I limit peanut butter, which I love, because invariably it was my go-to snack when I became tired. I’m just finishing my second 16oz jar in two weeks, so it’s off my shopping list. I’ll try again next year. :slight_smile:
I often have to ask myself if I’m really hungry or rather need a nap, or if I need to go to bed for the night. I also crave sugar (chocolate chips or ice cream) when I’m tired. Sugar puts me to sleep, so it’s really useless!
A gluten-free diet (I’m not Celiac), with a plate filled with 2/3 vegetables, 1/6 protein, 1/6 carbs, is what I follow to prevent migraines. This diet works for me in general.