Does anyone else have recurrent hypersomnia - sleeping 18-20 hours a day?

Does anyone else have episodes of sleeping 18-20 hours a day. My family calls it coma sleep. I will sometimes, sleep 18-20 hours a day and only wake to use the bathroom and drink some water if it is by my bedside. When I am awake, I'm really not fully awake. It's like I was given anesthesia. I will slowly sleep less and less until I'm back to sleeping 8-10 hours a day.

I take 250 mg of Nuvigil/day.

YES! A matter of fact, it is usually the case when I'm alone and no one is around to bother me. And even when I do get up and do something, as soon as I do that one thing, I'm back to sleep again. My family still don't understand that when I'm like that, even though sometimes I hear them, I can't get up and sometimes can't respond because I literally can't move. I can be sittingvor laying down awake, but not really awake and in like a few minutes to even seconds I'm back to sleep.

I take Amphetamine Salt (Adderall) 15 mg and Dextroamphetamine 5mg (as needed for a boost).

Yes, but I can’t tell if it’s big fatigue or some kind of a cycle.
For awhile it happened so often I hated beds. I set up a hammock, slept on a table, the couch, on the floor in a sleeping bag. My brain is more awake recently during the day, but getting out of bed can be really hard. I count on meds a lot.
Citalopram and bupropion twice a day, 15 mg methylphenidate 3x/day and as needed.

No med helps me when I get a hypersomnia episode. My Mother comes and picks me up. Puts me in her guest room bed and makes sure I have water by the bedside. Then I just sleep for 18-20 hours, have horrible vivid dreams until I slowly come out of it after a 3-5 days. My longest episode lasted 7-8 days. Try explaining that to your supervisor. I just said I had the flu. Who would really understand that?

Memedawn said:

YES! A matter of fact, it is usually the case when I'm alone and no one is around to bother me. And even when I do get up and do something, as soon as I do that one thing, I'm back to sleep again. My family still don't understand that when I'm like that, even though sometimes I hear them, I can't get up and sometimes can't respond because I literally can't move. I can be sittingvor laying down awake, but not really awake and in like a few minutes to even seconds I'm back to sleep.

I take Amphetamine Salt (Adderall) 15 mg and Dextroamphetamine 5mg (as needed for a boost).

1 Like