Cheer yourself up with some inspiring stories

http://www.succeedingwithnarcolepsy.com/
58-image.jpg (71.2 KB)

Or do you find these tales more annoying than inspiring?

I think that they are inspiring and give understanding to the many different ways narcolepsy affects each person differently … I’m still convinced there are answers and solutions for this condition that have not been discovered yet…besides just treating symptoms… Overall these accounts were an encouragement for me.

Can I point out the time of day Jimmy Kimmel comes on, just saying!

Really though, it is awesome that some succeed with Narcolepsy. However, some just cannot and I don't think people take the right approach to success stories. When people attempt to encourage others to "overcome" their circumstances and to push themselves and do big things in their lives, I don't think they really think before they "talk." Telling someone like me to not let Narcolepsy run my life would be insane and it makes me angry when people glorify their capabilities with "N" without recognizing that not all cases are the same. In my case, I cannot drive and my family read stories like these and expect me to "get myself better" so I can drive and lead a normal life and to stop being so tired and bla bla bla bla. My case is EXTREMELY complicated though, with all of my other conditions and such, it is not straight forward by any means. So, I am having unrealistic expectations put against me and monumental amounts of stress and feelings of self guilt due to the constant feeling of being an inconvenience or disappointment. All because people cannot balance these types of site correctly.

Okay, my rant is done. Sorry lol.

On the other hand, my hat's off to them. I do believe that many can lead a normal life and I wish that those who can do, but it just isn't my story. That is not how my book was meant to be written, but my story is making a difference in a much a different way!

That’s what I was wondering Kristin and it’s a very justifiable rant. In another group I am involved in there were heartfelt complaints that the “I ran the Marathon” stories were fine for some but totally unrealistic for those of us in that group who can hardly walk to the end of the road.

Personally I like reading them anyway and when ‘counselling’ newly diagnosed people I find it good to be able to point out that the worst case scenario is not necessarily how their story will pan out.

They honestly have to take their case at face value. You don't know how it will play out like. If you live your life trying to be like others, then you will live your life very unhappy.

Thanks for posting this! it's a good reminder. I didn't think it was a"rant" :) There is a lot of truth here and we need to remember that we should only measure ourselves against our selves. We can only do what we can do and everyone is different.
Take care,

Ranger
KristinTMAAF said:

Really though, it is awesome that some succeed with Narcolepsy. However, some just cannot and I don't think people take the right approach to success stories. When people attempt to encourage others to "overcome" their circumstances and to push themselves and do big things in their lives, I don't think they really think before they "talk." Telling someone like me to not let Narcolepsy run my life would be insane and it makes me angry when people glorify their capabilities with "N" without recognizing that not all cases are the same. In my case, I cannot drive and my family read stories like these and expect me to "get myself better" so I can drive and lead a normal life and to stop being so tired and bla bla bla bla. My case is EXTREMELY complicated though, with all of my other conditions and such, it is not straight forward by any means. So, I am having unrealistic expectations put against me and monumental amounts of stress and feelings of self guilt due to the constant feeling of being an inconvenience or disappointment. All because people cannot balance these types of site correctly.

Okay, my rant is done. Sorry lol.

On the other hand, my hat's off to them. I do believe that many can lead a normal life and I wish that those who can do, but it just isn't my story. That is not how my book was meant to be written, but my story is making a difference in a much a different way!