Treating Narcolepsy Without Medication

I’ve been on modafinil for Narcolepsy for over seven years now and have developed a lot of food intolerances and ‘leaky gut’ from taking medication over time. I’ve managed to reduce my dosage down to 100m twice daily but am wondering if it is at all possible to treat Narcolepsy without medications as I am concerned about taking them long term. I am scared to try anything as I fear I can’t function and live my life without them and everything is very stable and under control at the moment and I don’t want to mess with that. Nevertheless, I’ve been taking these pills daily for a long time now and know that if I don’t try anything different I will be taking them for the rest of my life. Has anyone found a way that works for them to manage the condition naturally? Are there alternative options to prescription medications?

I would encourage you to discuss this with your doctor. One thing to consider is that instead of taking away (lowering or removing the medication) what about adding to? This could mean working with a holistic nutritionist, for example. They could help improve your diet in a meaningful way. Just choose carefully, as some are primarily selling a supplement line. You would ideally see someone who sees food as the primary source of nutrients.

Sharon from ModSupport