Narcolepsy Alert Dogs. Rare a few years ago but quite often reported now. Could such a dog help you?

Dogs with Odd Jobs

Service Dogs and Teams Going Beyond Traditional Roles

http://servicedogacademy.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/NarcolepsyAlertDogTrainingArticleJustLabsMagazineVideos.pdf

Please do Tacp Girlfriend. Lovely to hear from you too. Good luck with the research and take care of yourself as well as you can.

I feel like everyone here should have a N-K9. My symptoms first started while I was attending a police K-9 trainers school. (If you look at my pics you will see my dogs, Hobit is the black Belgium/ Dutch shep., he is a Dual purpose K9.) I am not law enforcement, but have plans to run a residential narcotics search for parents and a variety of business's. However my condition has slowed my progress to a halt. Over the last two years everything has changed. I still don't even know if I will be able to get back to work,. but I still have plans.

I will be taking my negatives to help others. I have PTSD and N+C,both on the high end of the scale. So I plan to train and provide veteran, narcoleptic, and dogs for people with special needs. I'm hoping to be able to provide them free to patients or at least at the very lowest price I could go. I still have to build a kennel and train my first group of dogs, but I will post updates as I go. if interested add me and leave me a message about the types of things you would like to see from the dog. anything from companionship to protection during a C attack.

I’m so excited to hear someone else use the term alert dog! Yay. I have narcolepsy and severe cataplexy. I got my dog, Taurus, a few years ago because once people living around my area found out I had this sleep problem, they knew I was always asleep in my bedroom with my boys. I got robbed 3 times that year while I was sleeping right in my own bed! Pretty sad eh. The last time my son heard the neighbor boy and opened my door for him. Scary! I pressed charges but they didn’t do anything. Even though he stole my bank, credit cards and they found them at the residence he was staying at…since he didn’t try to access them they just blew it over. Nobody comes in my house now(: I have a 100lbs mastiff/ Staffordshire mix. He loves to lounge in bed all day and sleep with me and his sole job is it “alert” me when anybody comes to my door. His bark is very loud and if I don’t wake up, he runs to my side barks again, then returns to the door til I answer it. He is also tall enough to prevent children from touching the door knob til I come to. He is my guardian angel!
When I get emotional, on verge of cataplexy, but too stubborn to admit it…he sits right in front of me perfectly still like a statue and stares at me. As I start to lose more muscle tone, Taurus will wimper and lick my hand. Then he lays down, to wait it out with me. He diverts attention from me which helps my boys not worry so much…makes time seem faster etc. I think training dogs for narcolepsy is an amazing idea!

Hi SleeoyGrunt,
That’s a wonderful ambition you have and I hope some day you can make it happen.

SleepyGrunt said:

I feel like everyone here should have a N-K9. My symptoms first started while I was attending a police K-9 trainers school. (If you look at my pics you will see my dogs, Hobit is the black Belgium/ Dutch shep., he is a Dual purpose K9.) I am not law enforcement, but have plans to run a residential narcotics search for parents and a variety of business's. However my condition has slowed my progress to a halt. Over the last two years everything has changed. I still don't even know if I will be able to get back to work,. but I still have plans.

I will be taking my negatives to help others. I have PTSD and N+C,both on the high end of the scale. So I plan to train and provide veteran, narcoleptic, and dogs for people with special needs. I'm hoping to be able to provide them free to patients or at least at the very lowest price I could go. I still have to build a kennel and train my first group of dogs, but I will post updates as I go. if interested add me and leave me a message about the types of things you would like to see from the dog. anything from companionship to protection during a C attack.

Yay for Taurus! But what a horrible thing that lowlife would take advantage of your condition to get into your home and rob you. How can people stoop so low:(

Good to know that you can sleep safely now Christina and stay confident that your boys are secure in the house too. Interesting that Taurus I am presuming had no prior training when you got him so could anyone train a suitable dog to do what he does?

br />

Great news.

/>

Christina Walters said:

I’m so excited to hear someone else use the term alert dog! Yay. I have narcolepsy and severe cataplexy. I got my dog, Taurus, a few years ago because once people living around my area found out I had this sleep problem, they knew I was always asleep in my bedroom with my boys. I got robbed 3 times that year while I was sleeping right in my own bed! Pretty sad eh. The last time my son heard the neighbor boy and opened my door for him. Scary! I pressed charges but they didn’t do anything. Even though he stole my bank, credit cards and they found them at the residence he was staying at…since he didn’t try to access them they just blew it over. Nobody comes in my house now(: I have a 100lbs mastiff/ Staffordshire mix. He loves to lounge in bed all day and sleep with me and his sole job is it “alert” me when anybody comes to my door. His bark is very loud and if I don’t wake up, he runs to my side barks again, then returns to the door til I answer it. He is also tall enough to prevent children from touching the door knob til I come to. He is my guardian angel!
When I get emotional, on verge of cataplexy, but too stubborn to admit it…he sits right in front of me perfectly still like a statue and stares at me. As I start to lose more muscle tone, Taurus will wimper and lick my hand. Then he lays down, to wait it out with me. He diverts attention from me which helps my boys not worry so much…makes time seem faster etc. I think training dogs for narcolepsy is an amazing idea!