Hearing but not able to respond

OK. So, Monday I was cleaning my living room floor with carpet cleaner. I had to brush it into the carpet and then wait for 20min. I did part of the living room and my head was pounding with the tigely feeling. I rested then vacuumed it up. Then start on the other side. By the time I was done brushing it. My head was still pounding and I got very weak. I was able to call for my kid’s as I was laying down on the floor. My son came in he was talking to me to find out what I needed. But I could not responded to him. Once I was able to say something I told him he had to get my addition. He softly shock my shoulder and said I had to wake up. His sister came in too and helped him. I was able to give them deriction and got my husband on the phone for my daughter. They went back to my room to watch a movie. I slept for about 10 minutes on the floor. Then moved to my daughter’s chair when my husband got home he helped me to my chair. I was so weak and was still having a hard time finding my word’s. So, my question is has anyone dealt with anything like that? Also can anyone help me understand what that was? I’m still learning about my narcolepsy :slight_smile:

That sounds more like a migraine to me...

I get hemipeligic migraines. They're most-known for 1-sided paralysis as the "Aura", but in reality the 1-sided thing is only 1/2 the symptoms, other times I have total paralysis, and sometimes I loose speech without paralysis.

If I have a big migraine trigger, especially certain chemicals I'm sensitive to, this is is basically just like what I go through, and 10-20 minutes later I'll still feel weak but slowly regain the ability to move and speak... sometimes speech returns slowly, a few sounds at a time. Sometimes I get movement back on one side before the other. Either way, the weakness after an episode can last for weeks depending on the severity and what state I was in before the episode.

I have avoid a lot of chemicals because of this, carpet cleaners could easily be a trigger... My wife's had to stop using hair gel's, certain dish soaps, I avoid all the artificial colors and preservatives in foods and drinks, it's kind of a minefield of possible triggers.

Hello :)

My first thought was the chemicals in the carpet cleaner. Were your windows open, have you ever used that carpet chemical cleaner before? Also a person can become hyper sensitive suddenly to chemicals.

Hope this helps,

Ranger

Ranger:
It was the first time I’ve used it and I didn’t have windows open.
Belboz:
I had not thought about food as a trigger. Sometimes I have a hard time finding my word’s too.

If I'm on my way to taking a nap but talking to my adult son my speech can get mixed up. My speech is sometimes affected with migraine. I thought about the carpet cleaner, too. It could be cataplexy, a seizure...I don't have a clue but a doctor would know how to ask you the right questions. I hope your doctor can explore possible causes with you - until then don't use that carpet stuff :).

Thank you :slight_smile: I go see her on Tuesday.

Rachael: I'm not much of an expert on this because I am still in the process of a diagnosis. I have experienced episodes like you describe for 20 years. Mine usually occur while driving. So far, my neurologists seem to think it's seizures although I am on seizure medication and still have these events. Can you describe the feeling that you got before you lost consciousness more thoroughly to me so I can see if it resembles the "aura" I have before I experience my "events"?

Accidentprone: let’s see if I can explain :slight_smile:
It’s a tingling feeling inside my head it start’s across the middle of my head from ear to ear. Then move’s forward to my forehead as it gets stronger “like a fast heart beat”. As it keeps going the feeling is all over my head. So, as that is getting stronger I start having a hard time finding my words. My right arm gets a tight feeling and my body feel’s heavy. Also my eye’s feel really heavy it’s hard to keep em open. If it’s happening when I’m trying to work. Lifting a piece of paper feel’s like lifting a 50 pound wight. If at work I get my manager. Then set down as they call my husband. Then they help me to the booth and I crash. If at home alone with the kid’s. When I know I’m going down, I get their attention so they don’t over react. If I’m driving I make it cold in the van and turn up the music. If that is not working I pull into a parking lot and wait it out.

Rachel said:

Accidentprone: let's see if I can explain :)
It's a tingling feeling inside my head it start's across the middle of my head from ear to ear. Then move's forward to my forehead as it gets stronger "like a fast heart beat". As it keeps going the feeling is all over my head. So, as that is getting stronger I start having a hard time finding my words. My right arm gets a tight feeling and my body feel's heavy. Also my eye's feel really heavy it's hard to keep em open. If it's happening when I'm trying to work. Lifting a piece of paper feel's like lifting a 50 pound wight. If at work I get my manager. Then set down as they call my husband. Then they help me to the booth and I crash. If at home alone with the kid's. When I know I'm going down, I get their attention so they don't over react. If I'm driving I make it cold in the van and turn up the music. If that is not working I pull into a parking lot and wait it out.