Does anybody else have trouble sleeping at night?

I have narcolepsy, I’ve had it now for 8 years, through out the years I’ve struggled with sleeping at night, I’ve tried taking different prescriptions for sleep but they don’t seem to help me. Recently I’ve been working extra shifts and also attending school and for the past 3-4 days I haven’t slept much at night, the only rest I’ve gotten was the naps I take around noon. Does anybody have any advice on getting sleep at night ?

1 Like

My night time sleep is horrid, too… It’s hard for me to fall asleep sometimes, and hard for me to stay asleep as well. I have really vivid scary dreams a lot, which cause me to wake up confused. Also, I’ve been having hypnagogic and hynpopompic hallucinations which are no fun either.
I’m hoping my insurance is gonna approve me for Xyrem… I’ve been informally diagnosed. I’m waiting on my sleep study. Doctors move so sllllooowww… But. My psychiatrist is awesome! He’s helping me with day meds while I wait at least which is better than nothing.

I hope your sleep gets better… Have you tried thenarcolepsynetwork.org? They have lists of medications on there I think ND if they don’t I’m sure they have links to someone that does. Or try the NIH ninds website…
Best wishes to you

1 Like

emphasized text Hi @Briana. Welcome to the community!! So excited to have you with us. Yes, I’ve had Narcolepsy w/ cataplexy for 6 years( since 2015) now, and I’ve been on Nuvigil (armodafinil) for the same amount of time as well. And It seems like, with certain days and changes in the season, I have insomnia like crazy. There are times when my cataplexy is super triggered. It was really triggered when I was in graduate school and working 5 days a week. I would experience fainting, knee buckling, face drooping, etc. I know personally, my insomnia depends on how much sleep i got the night before, if i took my medicine too late in the day… This article might help you.

https://narcolepsy.sleep-disorders.net/living/5-tips-better-sleep/