Waking up I need HELP!

What do you all do to wake up? I’ve tried every alarm clock Etc. I’ve got to get my son to school on time, but he sleeps heavy as well.

On my head board I have a very loud bass speaker that is bluetooth to my cell phone on my cell phone I change up the ringtones or I use Pandora because the music will always be something different on Pandora alarm clock the alarm clock on Pandora is free on my nightstand I keep my Ritalin and a glass of water and caffeine pills 200 milligrams I take my morning ritalin along with the caffeine pills and try to get to my cell phone that is setting on the other side of the table to turn the loud bass music off if anything it ranks everybody else up in the house and they come and say mom take your medicine and turn that music off please

KathyJo had some great ideas! I like the base speaker on the head board. That will create vibrations that might help wake you up more than regular alarm sound. I use a dawn simulating alarm clock that gradually introduces light into the room for 15 or 30 minutes prior to my alarm time. By the time my alarm sound goes off, my room is full of bright light.

I have a hard time getting up more than responding to alarms. Long ago I developed a habit of keeping my meds, water, and a little snack on my nightstand, sort of like what KathyJo was saying. I’ll set an early alarm for 30 minutes to an hour before I really have to get up. I have my snack and meds and then doze until my second alarm goes off telling me it’s time to me. That process isn’t for everyone though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I used to use a bed shaker that was designed for those who are hard of hearing. It unfortunately did not work. (actually it did for a short while when I placed it next to my headboard and it would vibrate against the headboard, but eventually it just created a little pile of sawdust from cutting into the headboard when I did not respond to it for long periods). I have tried the alarm that was attached to the lamp as well. I now have no headboard or lamp near my bed. I also used an alarm called the "screaming meanie" but the Dr said extended use would actually cause hearing loss due to the extreme decibels used. I slept through it anyway. Since my husband moved out it is just my son and I and he sleeps through all of my alarms as well. :(

I have found an app which allows others to give you a wake up call. It is one that is used by people all over the world. The call is made through the app so no one uses your actual phone number. It sometimes works, but there have also been times when there were technical difficulties and it of course could not be relied upon.

Wow, my son is a hard sleeper as well and it was a total challenge for the both of us during his adolescent years. He is 22 now, but he has insomnia and sleep apnea. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed way too late. I took him to take the sleep test when I took my test. He was I believe 16 years old. I wish I would've done it sooner. His school years would have probably been better. I feel I failed him even though he says I didn't. But between his hard sleeping and me not being able to wake up, mornings were very hard. A good thing was his sleep schedule would switch up and the times when he was up all night long, I would actually get him to wake me up. He quickly learned that he couldn't just call my name or yell wake up. He would actually pull me up until I was on my feet or on the floor. During his elementary school years, it was a bit easier getting him together for school than me for work, because he didn't have to be at school as early as I had to leave for work. So even though I was running late for work, he was on time for school majority of the time. Alarm clocks were a waste of time. Well, they may have been beneficial with the snooze set, but it took at least several snoozes to get me up. Nonetheless, I was late to work a lot. Lost quite a few jobs because of it.

Make sure you get your son tested too. He may have a sleeping disorder and needs help as well. If so, you will want to get a handle on it early. My son gave up on school, because he couldn't get a hold on his sleep and it was a choice of getting kicked out because he couldn't make his classes or dropping out. He wasn't living with me at the time. He chose to live with his then pregnant girlfriend and her mother and they would not get him up in the morning. He dropped out his junior year. His insomnia also made his moods negative and he would sometimes be sleepy in class or hardly functioning. Good thing it didn't take a toll on what he learned (he was extremely intelligent that he even surprised his teachers because they thought he wasn't alert). It just had a serious weight on his behavior. He would act out when he was sleepy or bored; whichever was the culprit for the morning. He was also diagnosed with ADHD and he had asthma. It would be nice if I could turn the clock back and do things all over again, but do it differently.

Find a really loud and unique alarm sound. I hear mine in the middle of my dreams and realize it time to get up.

I had an alarm clock similar to this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TG9JMB4?keywords=bell%20alarm%20clock&qid=1448340826&ref_=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

My son is 5 years old and only in preschool so far. he missed the cutoff fro Kindergarten by 12 days. Part of the problem is needing to be awake enough and have taken my medication so that i can drive him to school. I have checked on a bus but his school only offers a bus for those who have special needs. He actually had a sleep study although I did not have much confidence in the person who was in charge of the testing. There were malfunctions and it did not even start until 11 pm or so. He has a ton of "myoclonic jerks" and I feel that they are impeding on his sleep and that is why he is tired every day. He takes a nap everyday and sometimes two. I plan on having him retested most likely once he is elementary school. He also has a seizure disorder, although they have not happened very often. I need to have my medication by my bed and take them when I do happen to wake up before hitting snooze. THe app I found that calls me is called "WAKIE" and it works pretty well when it does work but it can not be depended on. I am going to school online and so many times I fall asleep at the computer and never make it to my bed.Usually this means that I wake up a bit better than if I were in my bed, although I am having problems with swelling in my legs due to not elevating them. It seems as if it is always something. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Memedawn said:

Wow, my son is a hard sleeper as well and it was a total challenge for the both of us during his adolescent years. He is 22 now, but he has insomnia and sleep apnea. Unfortunately, he was diagnoased way too late. I took him to take the sleep test when I took my test. He was I believe 16 years old. I wish I would've done it sooner. His school years would have probably been better. I feel I failed him even though he says I didn't. But between his hard sleeping and me not being able to wake up, mornings were very hard. A good thing was his sleep schedule would switch up and the times when he was up all night long, I would actually get him to wake me up. He quickly learned that he couldn't just call my name or yell wake up. He would actually pull me up until I was on my feet or on the floor. During his elementary school years, it was a bit easier getting him together for school than me for work, because he didn't have to be at school as early as I had to leave for work. So even though I was running late for work, he was on time for school majority of the time. Alarm clocks were a waste of time. Well, they may have been beneficial with the snooze set, but it took at least several snoozes to get me up. Nonetheless, I was late to work a lot. Lost quite a few jobs because of it.

Make sure you get your son tested too. He may have a sleeping disorder and needs help as well. If so, you will want to get a handle on it early. My son gave up on school, because he couldn't get a hold on his sleep and it was a choice of getting kicked out because he couldn't make his classes or dropping out. He wasn't living with me at the time. He chose to live with his then pregnant girlfriend and her mother and they would not get him up in the morning. He dropped out his junior year. His insomnia also made his moods negative and he would sometimes be sleepy in class or hardly functioning. Good thing it didn't take a toll on what he learned (he was extremely intelligent that he even surprised his teachers because they thought he wasn't alert). It just had a serious weight on his behavior. He would act out when he was sleepy or bored; whichever was the culprit for the morning. He was also diagnosed with ADHD and he had asthma. It would be nice if I could turn the clock back and do things all over again, but do it differently.

Thanks, I have tried many many of them, right now I have one that is called Crazywakeup and it is pretty loud and annoying. Another one I found is crazy_wake_up and it has animal sounds like a rooster and is equally annoying.

Webbibear said:

Find a really loud and unique alarm sound. I hear mine in the middle of my dreams and realize it time to get up.